Thursday 21 May 2015

An Afternoon In Galway

Lately I have been getting quite a lot of pain when trying to knit or crochet.  I would need to put my work down after only five minutes of work.  My hands cramping. My wrists aching.
So I decided it was time I went to see my rheumatologist in Galway.  About twice a year I need to get steroid injections in my hips and in my feet.  Seriously painful in the feet, people!!  The doc gave me the worst news that any crafter could hear, tennis elbow in both arms requiring at least two weeks of rest. What???  I got the mandatory jabs and left feeling very sorry for little ol' me altogether.


My hubbie had taken the day off work to come down with me as I'm often unwell and in pain after the injections.  I was really glad of the company when I left and it was great to get to spend a little time together on our own. We don't often get the opportunity to just be a couple.


The weather was really bad and there was some very heavy showers. But in between Galway was beautiful as always.


We walked along the the river, amazed at how high it was for this time of the year. It flowed so fast it made us dizzy just walking alongside.





Grey skies threatened us constantly and the rain pounded us when it fell in heavy downpours, leaving us soaked to the core.


This city is so full of surprises and you never know what you'll find around the next corner.  This cafe for example. I think that it is called the Jungle Cafe. An covered outdoor restaurant that looks like it belongs in Brazil more than the West coast of Ireland.


There is some beautiful artworks here and even the shop fronts get painted with colourful and intricate murals.  I felt they won't get to experience the real beauty of Ireland.  My hubby said that he read a report that most tourists don't come here expecting good weather, but still my heart went out to them.


The llittle back streets are a delight to wander down with their small shops and seating outside coffee shops.  It's just a shame that it was for only a brief moment that the sun decided to shine while I took this picture.


These have to be my two favourite shops in Galway.  Twice As Nice sells amazing lace and the most delicate linens and crochet garments.
And Wooden Heart is a place we always stop when the kids are with us. It is a toy shop where are the toys are wooden and vintage.  The type of toys that I would have played with as a child, like dominoes, wooden snakes, spinning tops or wind up mice.  I'm just a big kid and I just have to test out every toy that I can find.



From there we drove out to the little village of Spiddle and one of my most favourite places in the county, the crafter's village.  Here you can meet weavers, basket makers, glass workers, jewellery designers, potters and so much more.  Sadly I was there on a Monday, the day most are closed.

But I did find this little beauty.  They are little glass beads, which is something that I would normally stay well clear of in case I would break or drop them, but they are so bright and colourful, I just couldn't resist.  A little treat for myself since I'm not going to be allowed to stitch for a while now.

5 comments:

  1. You live in such a beautiful country, rich with all detals you can find around you.
    I live in big spaces since 11 years now and sometimes I miss little town and little shops like in your pics.
    Great tour!!
    Hope you feel better.
    Miss, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely deserved that great bracelet after hearing the news you have to take two weeks off playing with yarn. I how you are feeling pain free very soon.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics of galway and I love your glass bead bracelet x
    Hope you're feeling much better soon ♥
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rosie, I do sympathise, I haven't been able to knit properly for months. Your bracelet is so pretty ... it's good to cheer yourself up with nice things. I still wear the brooch you sent me on my coat and it always make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope to see you again sometimes. I am now following you so I will be back here sometimes! xx

    ReplyDelete

I adore to see a comment popping up. If you have the time, please do leave a few words. I try my best to reply to all the comments that I get.
Rosie xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.